The Story Of My Purchase, Repair And Enjoyment Of A 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST


Monday, November 2, 2015

After Pulling Out The Offending Convertible Top Motor (Making Lots Of Bad Noises) And Inspecting It, I Found That The Shear Pin Was Intact...So A Replacement Was The Next Logical Step. Found A Pair On Craigslist For $50. Will That Solve The Problem?




So, I did a little research on line and found that many of the electric convertible top motors listed on eBay for the 2g Eclipse also had them as a replacement for a couple other vehicles.  I was hoping this would be the case since there are quite a few pull it yourself salvage yards around St. Louis and I could probably find what I needed cheap.

Turns out, I didn't even have to do THAT!  These motors apparently can fit Caveliers, one year of Saab as well as Celicas of or about the same vintage as the 2g Eclipse.  I found a guy who was parting out a '95 Celica on craigslist.  He wasn't too far away and already had the motors out of the car.  Now, buying like this is rife with possible pitfalls, but I only needed one to work and at $50...I was willing to gamble.  Besides, it was a beautiful day to drive into the Illinois countryside with the top down!



So I got the motors home and immediately found that there are a few differences.  The electrical connectors are the only thing that I had to change to use the replacement motor.  Simple enough.  Check out the video to how the project went.

No comments:

Post a Comment